Arden Tour / Page 1





CROCUS MONUMENT

Facts / History

Arden's Crocus Monument is a project of the Lansdowne Heritage Resources and Tourism Committee. The all-steel replica was fabricated by local welder, Dennis Gagnon. To our knowledge, it is the first large-scale replica of Manitoba's floral emblem. Each of the three blossoms is approximately five feet wide and nine feet tall. Total weight is estimated at 2,000 pounds. The blossoms are painted with a custom-colored automotive paint and clear-coated. The supporting back wall of the monument is constructed of special, century-old concrete blocks which were poured on site by pioneers for home and office construction. Several such buildings still stand in the area, although they now are rare in Manitoba.

The story of Manitoba's floral emblem can be traced to the early 1900s. The Manitoba Horticultural Society nominated three flowers as candidates for an official floral emblem. The three species, all native to Manitoba, included:

The Prairie Crocus

The Prairie Lily

The Wild Rose.

Manitoba school children voted, placing the Prairie Crocus, 1st; the Prairie Lily, 2nd; Wild Rose, 3rd. On March 16, 1906, the Prairie Crocus was given Royal Assent and officially adopted as Manitoba’s floral emblem. The declaration was: “The flower known botanically as anemone patens, and popularly called the Crocus shall be adopted as and deemed to be the floral emblem of the Province of Manitoba.”